St Mary's Catholic Church & Shrine of Our Lady of Fatima is a Catholic Shrine located in Barnesville, Maryland
In 1958, Pope Pius XII urged that a parish in every diocese be dedicated to Our Lady of Fatima. In response to our Holy Father, Archbishop O’Boyle designated St. Mary’s as the official Shrine of Our Lady of Fatima for the Archdiocese of Washington. Under Pastor Fr. Martin Hyland, beautiful indoor and outdoor shrines were erected. The Shrine was dedicated by Archbishop O’Boyle on May 3, 1959. On the altar of the indoor shrine is a piece of stone cut from the area where the Blessed Mother appeared to the children in Fatima. The stone was presented to our Shrine by the then Ambassador of Portugal.
The glass-etched entrance doors depict the life of the church. One door displays a chalice and wheat to remind all that the Eucharist is the primary nourishment of our spiritual lives. The dove over the open Bible reminds us that the Holy Spirit will give life to the word of God in us.
A beautiful Prayer Garden was added to the grounds several years ago. It is a wonderful place to come and pray and walk through the Stations of the Cross.